Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Interesting

I feel accomplished today. I finished what I set out to do today. I ended the day jubilated. Went home with a light heart knowing that I can sleep peacefully tonight.

Met up with hubby and went to do what aunties do, shop at a supermarket. I should say that's now our favourite past time. To go through the aisle and see what new and exciting snacks are in store. Take note that I used the word snacks. Both of us are not very healthy people and prefer to enjoy our food. We don't really like things that are low-fat or sugar-free as we like our food real. Haha! Maybe I'll live to regret it one day. Or rather, each time I feel fat, I tell myself this unhealthy habit gotta stop but I just give in each time. :P

After dinner, we sat down together with my MIL and started watching TV. The TV show ended with a very interesting line:

感情就像牙齿,一样不能自拔。

I repeated it upon hearing that and my hubby looked at me and said, "Too bad we're married."

I was puzzled and asked him what he meant and he shrugged it off. Perhaps to mean that we're already in love? And he asked me to post it in my blog. Then he continued to say, "But in what context are you going to post this?"

Whatever the case, I made a mental note just now to make sure that I post this up tonight. I seriously think the analogy is very interesting and apt. It doesn't matter what context I post this up but it's just interesting.

While I was in the shower just now, I thought to myself how I should start my post for tonight. Then my thoughts trailed back to that interesting line and I started thinking bout my whole marriage.

It's definitely not without hiccups. However, I feel completely blessed now. When I was 16, I told my best friend about my plans. Not big major plans like becoming a CEO of a company but I told her that I wanted to get married at 25, have my first child at 27 and then my second child at 29. In that way, I'll have a complete family by the time I'm 30 and I can start watching my children grow up while I concentrate on my career.

So when I broke up with my previous boyfriend at 21, I was devastated. I asked myself how am I going to make my dream come true. Haha! So fate has it that I met my hubby at 22. We then decided to get married when I was 23. Everyone, including my parents and relatives were shocked at my hasty decision. To hand in my fate to someone whom I've just known for a year. At that point in time, I felt that it was the right thing to do and just followed my heart. My parents were hesitant but encouraging bout my decision. My cousins just hated me for that decision cos now all my aunties and uncles take me as a benchmark. Haha! Anyone who is around 23 should just start getting married. Hee!

The first few years weren't easy. The stress from work and a new lifestyle with someone new made it difficult for us to live together peacefully at times. But we made it through and after a few years of just the two of us, we got bored. We decided that a baby will make that little difference. Moreover, I'm reaching 27 and so it's time for me to embark on my next phase of life. To have baby number 1.

I wanted the baby to arrive at a nice time. That is to say, the end of my 3 months maternity leave will coincide nicely with the December holidays. So we tried and after a few months of trying, we gave up. After about 4 to 5 pregnancy test kits, we told ourselves to just forget it. Whatever will be, will be.

Life went on as usual and then on one fateful night after missing my period for about a week, hubby suggested that we try the pregnancy test kit again. The next day, we stepped into a pharmacy and we purchased the cheapest test kit found there. I didn't want to waste money again you see. Haha! Came home and the next thing I knew, it's positive!!! I couldn't believe my eyes and I asked myself whether it's due to the cheap test kit that the results are not reliable. We then rushed to the clinic nearby and there, the test is positive again. I'm pregnant.

That's how the whole excitement started. I called up my parents immediately and informed them of the good news. My sister sounded more excited than me at that time. She loves kids! That explains why she's a childcare teacher. Anyway, everyone was super excited bout the good news and the next day, my mummy called up all my aunties to bring them the good news. That's when one of my auntie told my mummy that she dreamt that my late grandma was holding on to the hand of a child. She was then wondering who'll be pregnant next. And it happened to be me.

Superstition or not, I feel that the child is blessed. She's a gift and has brought happiness to many around me. Among the many physical discomforts, the bulge that is growing everyday, reminds me of the love in my marriage. She completes part of the blissful picture that I painted for myself. And the picture will be even prettier in about 40 days time.

No comments: