Monday, March 19, 2007

Denial

Do you sometimes feel so helpless about a situation that you get frustrated because you're helpless? I felt it today.

A pupil seemed to have lost her way in the course of her growing up years. She refused to attend class and prefer instead to stay in the toilet. Her friends came to inform me and I went searching for her. When I saw her, tears started to roll down her cheeks. For that moment, I wondered to myself: 'Is she angry or is she upset?' From her eyes, all I could see is anger. She may feel that her friends have betrayed her but to me, I choose to think that they're doing it for her own good. But why is she angry with them?

I tried talking sense to her but even after trying for about 10 minutes, I knew nothing went into her. Although I manged to persuade her to class, I found out later that she wasn't cooperative in class. So I guess my attempt failed.

The more I think about it, the more helpless I felt. Her mother is nonchalant about it and sometimes, even condone her acts. What more a teacher? What can I do if even her own mother is like that?

I know I lost her. But I really wish there's something I can do to help her before she falls further.

But can I?

No comments: