Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happily Tired

Term 3 started off leaving me feeling very exhausted.
It's only week 2 but I feel as though it's almost the end of the term.
Thank God for Youth Day that I managed to get a day off tomorrow.

I think it's probably due to the fact that supplementaries are really intensive and also the camp in week 1.

The camp in week 1 left me feeling very nostalgic.
Jalan Bahtera was where I used to have my school camps in secondary school.
My secondary school organised lots of leadership training camps and I was very active in those camps back then.
At that time, the camp site wasn't like what it is now.
We used to have to pitch our own tents and the toilets were really filthy.
Mosquitoes were abundant and I always go home with lots of bites.
I even had to have my finger injected because my finger swelled up due to the mosquito bites.
But I had good times there.
I used to love the night time when I can look up to the sky where I can see stars and smell the grass.

As I see my pupils engaged in their activites, it reminded me of myself when I was doing those activities myself.
I recall the fear that I felt each time I try a new high element course.
Hence, I know exactly what my pupils felt when they tell me that they are scared.
However, I feel very proud of one particular pupil of mine.
Let's just call him S.
We were at the abseiling station and S was adamant that he didn't wanna attempt it.
So after much persuasion, he told me that he'll go for it with a smile.
However when it was his turn, he didn't dare to come down.
He started crying and that's when I thought he's really brave.
I asked myself if I were in his shoes, will I dare to cry and let the whole world know that I'm scared.
And the answer is 'no'.

How many of you reading this actually dare to put your pride aside and admit that you're scared?
That's why I feel that S is really brave cos even though he was crying, he attempted to abseil down a few times.
Another pupil made a remark saying that if S is considered brave then she is also brave.
Afterall, she didn't only go up to the top of the abseiling tower but she made it down as well.
But do remember, everyone has a different limit.
To someone who has no vertigo, doing a bungee jump is a piece of cake.
But to another person, it takes a whole lot of courage to do the same thing.
To S, going up to the top and attempting to abseil is already his limit.

S, I'm really proud of you.

I slept through both days during the weekend after the camp.
Didn't really recuperate well as I still have little baby Raine to look after.
Hubby was really considerate as well.
He took over the task of looking after Raine most of the time and asked me to just sleep while he spends time with her.
But I'm still tired.

So week 2 came and left.
Supplementaries everyday is really no joke.
I am tired. Students are tired.
Count the number of 'tired' in this post and you'll know how tired I am.
Gosh!

And you might ask then why is the title of the post 'Happily Tired'.

Cos I'm really happy even though I'm tired.

I once told a fellow colleague that teaching is not an easy job.
It takes a whole lot of energy and passion and sometimes, the rewards are not seen immediately.
So in order to keep me going, I relish on the happy memories that I've collected in my 5 years of teaching.
Last week, I had more of such memories to add on to the collection.

On one of the draggy afternoon, I was informed by the office clerk that an ex pupil sent me a postcard.
I looked into my pigeon hole and found a postcard of scotland lying in it.
I knew instinctively who it is from.
I read it and the content warmed my heart.
I love receiving hand written letters.
Though it's not a letter but I guess a postcard gives the same effect.
You know you've been missed and remembered.
You also know that at some point in time, you made a difference to this pupil's education in secondary school.
It brightened up my day and gave me more meaning to my job.

The second chapter of 'Chicken soup for my own soul' happened the following morning.
The day started off innocently with a series of math lessons.
Just as I was going to get some markers from my markers container, I saw a note there.
It was written from some pupils from my form class last year.
They wrote about how they missed being in my homeroom cos it brought them back some sweet memories.
Like I said, I really love handwritten messages.
So I smiled to myself like a silly goon and felt very contented for that day.

I think I've wrote about how blessed I feel most of the time.
But this is my blog so it doesn't hurt if I am to repeat it.

To start off, I've a wonderful family.
Caring parents, my-always-makes-me-laugh sister, loving hubby, ever adorable daughter and considerate, understanding in-laws.
I've a job that I feel happy in.
Note that I'm just happy in it cos I still think that the pay is too low and the workload is too heavy.
It'll be good if they can find a balance somewhere and I think that'll make me feel excited to be in this job. Hee!
I've good colleagues that I can complain to and laugh with.
I've friends who I can count on when I need help.
I must admit that I'm a very lousy friend cos I'm hopeless with meet ups.
That is why I think I'm doubly lucky to have friends like them.
I've good students who makes me feel that teaching them is not a waste of time.

So you see, what more can I ask for?

Actually, there is.
A round trip of Europe will be good.
One year bonus sounds cool as well.
What else....hmmm....a big bungalow complete with many maids and chauffeur?
Haha!

Guess all these are just wishful thinking.
Contentment is bliss.

Updates about baby Raine.
Her first pearly is finally appearing.
The lower front teeth is surfacing from her gum.
There's still no sign of her other teeth though.

She's still as cheeky as ever.
I have to add that I really love it when she snuggles up to me in the morning when she's lying next to me.
I love those moments.
I'm not too good in expressing how I feel about it but if you close your eyes and imagine it, I think you'll know what I mean.

This Sunday feels different.
No work tomorrow!
Triple Hip Hip Hooray!

No comments: